Best Viewed As
2.8 (US & UK)
23 Jun 2000 (US)
14 Aug 2000 (UK)
Dream A Little Dream
Alternate Titles: Re:Union
· Cast & Crew
Note: Episode 201 was originally produced as the season premiere, with the working title "Re: Union". For a variety of reasons, the production team then decided to jump straight to episode 202 as the premiere, and episode 201 was reworked to fit into the episode lineup (as a flashback) later in the season. The bulk of the episode remained unchanged, but new opening and closing scenes were added, and the title was changed to "Dream A Little Dream". The original version of "Re: Union" was eventually aired on the U.S. SciFi Channel in June 2001 as a special event, but to our knowledge has never been issued on DVD (although scenes deleted from the original cut are included on the R1 and R2 DVDs.)
Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
While looking for Aeryn, John, and D'Argo, Moya's remaining crew find themselves embroiled in legal intrigue on the planet Litigara. What starts as a simple jaywalking charge soon escalates into murder -- but Zhaan's inner demons are an even bigger problem. Can Rygel and Chiana manage to save her without resorting to subterfuge? (Does Scorpy wear lederhosen?)
Since Moya escaped from Peacekeeper control, Zhaan has been drawing her emotional strength from her crewmates, especially John (she views Rygel and Chiana as children).
Moya and her remaining crew have been searching all planets within range of Aeryn's Prowler, looking for their missing friends. However, Moya is growing impatient with the delay in her search for Talyn.
On the planet of Litigara, 90% of the population are lawyers. The remaining 10% are known as "utilities".
Litigaran law provides that, if a lawyer puts on a bad faith defense or otherwise lies, he or she will be subjected to the same punishment as their client.
Litigara is ruled by a law firm, rather than a monarch or elected legislature.
The basis of Litigaran law is a small tome known as The Axiom. Extensive, complex interpretations and additions were added over time, as more and more Litigarans became lawyers and needed to justify their existence.
Rygel's second, fifteenth, and twenty-third wives had blue eyes.
Litigarans with blue eyes are susceptible to moonburn if they venture out during a night of a dual full moon.
The law firm of Rhumann, Willian, and Mandel was the ruling law firm on Litigara at the time of Zhaan's trial.
The Utilities on Litigara, led by Wesley Kenn, have begun to advocate for greater rights, much to the ruling lawyers' dismay.
- Zhaan experiences a variation on the "three spirits" theme in her cell. First she is visited by a vision of John, who has come to serve as a source of logic and confidence. Next is Aeryn, reminding her of her self-doubt and sense of guilt. Finally, D'Argo redirects her to her internal source of strength: her spiritual foundation, and the Delvian Seek.
- Rygel holding Zhaan's hand in her cell (when Chiana returns from the "meeting" with Rhumann) was a particularly nice touch. The little slug monkey doesn't show compassion often, but when he does, it's almost always to Zhaan -- perhaps he just needs a good maternal figure in his life.
The title comes from the song of the same name. "Dream a Little Dream of Me" is an old standard (lyrics, sound clip) written in 1931 by Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, and Fabian Andre. It's been recorded by numerous artists, most notably the 1960s group The Mamas and the Papas.
Zhaan: "The last 15 solar days have been unbearable."
John: "It hasn't exactly been a trip to Disneyland for us, either."
Another reference to the Magic Kingdom (see "Crackers Don't Matter").
John: "You're a 10th Level Pa'u. You get to 11, and we get a TV ministry."
It's likely that he's referring to the plethora of evangelists who sermonize to TV audiences.
However, a few viewers felt that it might also be a tip of the hat to THIS IS SPINAL TAP, and a scene between Christopher Guest & Rob Reiner. Guest is the lead guitarist ("Nigel") of Spinal Tap and Reiner is the director ("Marty") of the documentary that's being shot; Nigel is explaining that his guitar amp goes to eleven, rather than the standard ten:
Nigel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and -
Marty: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Marty: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty: I don't know.
Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel: [Pause] These go to eleven.
Translator Microbe Report
||equivalent to "amen"
||source book of all Litigaran laws; carries a cultural weight equivalent to the Bible
||presumably, equivalent to "chill, dude"
||force field used to detain Chiana (Litigaran)
|Light of Truth, the
||a stick which burns brighter when held in front of a person who is lying; an archaic legal practice from The Axiom (Litigaran)
|Nashtin Cleansing Pills
||yellow capsules; three taken over the course of a day will relieve the symptoms of a hangover
||component of transport pod, presumably related to navigation
||a non-lawyer, with limited legal rights; considered the bottom social class (Litigaran)
||Crichton's nickname for Zhaan
"Damn! Zhaan, that is where heart attacks come from!"
"My cirulatory organ does not seize up."
- John Crichton, Zhaan
"Buy ya a drink, beautiful?"
"Getting dren-faced is not helping, Rygel."
"Well, it's helping me!"
- Rygel, Zhaan
"The last fifteen solar days have been unbearable."
"Hasn't exactly been a trip to Disneyland for us, either."
- Zhaan, John Crichton
"What's her defense? It's just her word."
"You're a lawyer. You know, make something up!"
- Maton Dersch, Chiana
"How could you not tell me that? I...I thought we might even pull this off. But you and me, not lying? Are you mad?"
"We haven't lied yet. Of course, the trial's only been on for a few microts..."
"You little toad! You had to go and fart helium now?"
"I'm nervous. It happens. We're in court, so sue me!"
- Rygel, Chiana
"Let's go, Chiana. Up up up. Court's just about to reconvene. Zhaan's off visiting some happy place, and I need you awake."
"I told you everything the cop told me. My head's just fine here. Nobody'll notice."
"Nashtin cleansing pills. Take one now, one at the mid meal, and one if you need it, tonight."
"We convene in the name of that which is most holy -- the supreme law of the land."
"Yes, your honor, yes, I have questions for the witness, yes, I do, oh, oh, I definitely do, oh, I definitely, definitely, do. Did I say I did? Because I do."
"You took all three of the pills, didn't you?"
"Oh, you have...you have no idea how frelled up I felt. No idea."
- Rygel, Chiana, Judge
"Trust me. I'm a lawyer."
- Ja Rhumann
"I think I may have a way. It's chancy, and will require lashings of deception and trickery."
"Finally, you and I get to play to our strengths."
- Rygel, Chiana
"I live, Zhaan. Touch as proof."
"I know, but, the experience proves to me that my spirituality was lacking."
"Is that why you recommitted yourself to the Delvian seek?"
"Then maybe it was worth it."
"Even though my studies fail to benefit the rest of them?"
"Now, who says that?"
"Well, at various times, Rygel, D'Argo, and Aeryn."
"Screw 'em, Zhaany. You're a tenth level Pa'u. You get to eleven and we get a TV ministry."
"If I may be honest, John, most of the time I have no idea what you're saying."
"Neither do I."
- John Crichton, Zhaan
"Sparky! We're drifting dead."
"How could you possibly frell with up a frell-proof transport pod?"
"I don't know, I thought maybe you could tell me -- something to do with a stash of keedva barbeque in the nav linkage?!?"
"Oh, come on, Crichton, what would you really expect from Rygel?"
"Nothing. Aeryn, it's good to hear your voice."
- John Crichton, Rygel, Aeryn Sun
"I think so. Thank you for your compassion."
"And I thank you for yours."
- John Crichton, Zhaan
Comments from Cast & Crew
Ben Browder, July 29, 1999
Virginia Hey, August 19, 1999
David Kemper (& Ben Browder), September 23, 1999
- BlackTee: Hey David... is it true John does not appear in the opener for season one?
BlackTee: And should I be lookin for a new job?
DavidKemper: Those characters who survive the cliffhanger appear in the first episode.
- Moderator: <Zephyr> to <Moderator> Yes, Mr. Kemper can tell us if John and Aeryn will be getting a little more personal or will Chiana still Aeryn's thunder? Also, could you give us an idea of what's in store for next session? Thank You.
DavidKemper: Next season is still top secret, but I'll tip the glass a little...
DavidKemper: Chiana is a very intense, sexual person. That will not change - it will grow. However, you may surprised where it leads us.
- Moderator: <LanceLot> to <Moderator> will there be any episodes that the storyline will focus on Dargo???
DavidKemper: D'Argo features hugely in the coming season.
- Moderator: <GrandLady> to <Moderator> Will there be some really new 'bad' guys in the next season?
DavidKemper: Yes, and also, some really bad new guys.
Sean Masterson & Tim Mieville (Farscape Puppeteers), December 20, 1999
- Moderator: <Gmmas> : Sean and Tim: do you do any of the other non-humanoid creatures on Farscape? Can we expect to see more non-humanoid characters?
SeanMasterson: Yes we do any of the animatronic characters
TimMieville: I was lucky enough to be inside Jothev in Four
SeanMasterson: Yes and there are new aliens coming up this season.
- Moderator: <StarPaw> : and what about the brown Rygel snot?
TimMieville: The snot...
TimMieville: It varies on what he's eating
SeanMasterson: He's doing alot more spitting this season!
Moderator: Uh oh...
SeanMasterson: We're spitting on Aaron this afternoon!
Richard Manning & Andrew Prowse, January 6, 2000
- Moderator: <fairy74> to <Moderator>: Hi! Are we going to be seeing any new permanant or semi-permanant character in the second season?
Ricky: You REALLY don't want me to tell you more, do you?
Moderator: a little?
Ricky: We'd have to Spoiler Warning the entire chat.
Dominar Rygel XVI, February 17, 2000
- Moderator: <Ricks8> to <Moderator>: Rygel my main man! Everyone has been really hush-hush about Season 2. But you're a sneaky guy....What can you tell us about next season?
Rygel: i am smarter than the others
Rygel: they finally realize it
Rygel: they agree to take me home first
Rygel: and you will be very happy with how things turn out
Moderator: excuse me, your eminence, but that doesn't sound like the scripts I've read...
Moderator: are you certain that's what happens?
Rygel: listen smart guy
Rygel: the scripts you read arent the read scripts
Rygel: you think wed let you read the real scripts
Rygel: heres something
Rygel: those that you like
Rygel: some that you dont also
Rygel: dargo will suffer and grow
Rygel: others will feel great pain
Rygel: there will be things that astonish you
Rygel: for a few of them
Rygel: i was so shocked
Rygel: i farted
Virginia Hey, April 27, 2000
- Moderator: <WarriorWoman> to <Moderator> Hi Virginia! Your new costume is gorgeous. Did you help to design it?
Virginia: Unfortunately, no, it was designed by the creative genius of Terry Ryan
Virginia: He, is our head designer
- Moderator: <Gmmas> to <Moderator> Virginia: we've all noticed your new outfit, with higher neck and long sleeves. Is this intended to reduce the amount of makeup? Is the makeup causing any serious problems?
Virginia: Kahalen help me! If I hear any more gossip about my health and make-up I'll levitate and grow horns!! LOL Then you will REALLY have something to gossip about. ROFL! OK, lets get this out in the open, I'm fine and healthy and bouncing with vigour, my make-up is now grease paint, which is healthier for my system.
Virginia: No, the costumes have nothing to do with lessening the surface area of paint, Terry Ryan (costume designer genius) is just expressing his talent. We did experience make up teething problems in Series One but thanks to a very nuturing producer and make up department the problems have been alleviated.
Virginia: The only downside is the grease paint feels a bit like thick butter in summer, so when Kerrin and Sam, my two artists, apply powder to it, I feel like a cookie mixture, rolled in flour and baked in our big hot oven like studio warehouses LOL..hey, now there is a merchandising idea! Blue Cookies! Let's call them Delvian Delights...ROLF
- Moderator: <Ricks8> to <Moderator> Hey Virginia! (lol, or vice versa) You sat in this same place for Season 1, now your kicking it off yet again for Season 2. Since than, have your feelings toward yourself, your character, and the show changed?
Virginia: Just a quick thank you to TV Guide for voting Farscape best new TV Series 1999 XXXX
Virginia: Hi Ricks8, Only in that now I love the show and the character more than ever and I feel so much happier within my soul, more than I ever did before. Zhaan has taught me so much, I love her dearly. XXXX
- Moderator: <PhantomComputer> to <Moderator> Ms. Hey.. In previews of future episodes of Farscape, Zhaan is seen briefly with some sort of metal mesh on her mouth. Which episode will that be from? Can you tell us about that?
Virginia: Hello PhantomComputer, I wish I could tell you about it but I just can't. I hope you will understand, all I can say is that its a cracker of an episode and I think you'll all be on the edge of your seats for that one. XXXX
- Moderator: <AutumnH> to <Moderator> Do you feel the change in costume style signifies something about Zhaan and where she is spiritually now compared to before?
Virginia: No, but that you for the question AutumnH, there is no relevance between the costume and any spiritual connotation. However, Zhaan does wear spiritual vestments on top of her regular costumes occasionally. XXXX
- Moderator: <Psyrix> to <Moderator> Are you happy with Zhaan's character progression from Season 1 to Season 2?
Virginia: Hello Psyrix, yes very happy, there is more to come, just wait, Zhaan will knock your socks off! XXX
- Moderator: <ncc800> to <Moderator> Vrigina, do you like your more 'fitted'outfit this year?
Virginia: Hell yes, ncc800, if you've got it flaunt it! We love a few curves! xxx
Richard Manning, June 1, 2000
- Bouncer: *Badnasser* Can you tell us why the 1st episode from season 2 was pulled? (ReUNion) also, is it true that that episode was renamed to Dream a Little Dream?
FrooniumRicky: It was felt that we shouldn't keep our loyal fans hanging for an extra week on what happened to poor D'Argo and Crichton, so we decided to head straight into "Mind the Baby".
FrooniumRicky: The ep was indeed retitled for reasons that may become apparent when you see it...
FrooniumRicky: ..."Re: Union" didn't seem an appropriate title given its new place in the lineup.
Gigi Edgley, June 29, 2000
- Moderator: <John> to <Moderator>: I loved your performance in Dream a Little Dream - it really showed your range - the high speed delivery was outstanding!
fweakn-Gi: I made sure I had heaps of red cordial and coffee before that one
fweakn-Gi: perhaos a little too much
fweakn-Gi: This was an interesting ep
fweakn-Gi: it had lots of challenges in it
fweakn-Gi: I haven't seen the final cut of it...so you guys are ahead of me on this one
fweakn-Gi: I think it's one of the first solid eps that you see some of chi's maturity and compassion for her shipmates
fweakn-Gi: it was also cool to play with Ryg lots on this one...initially it was the first ep of series two, by this time we had changed puppeteers
fweakn-Gi: and it was great working with the new team
fweakn-Gi: in series two rygels voice actually comes from off set so there were alot of takes with me answering to tim off set as opposed to ryg sitting next to me
Ben Browder, Mat McCoy (w/Fiona Gentle and Tim Mieville), Lily Taylor, & Richard Manning, July 12, 2001
- Moderator: <Busco> to <Moderator>: Were you happy/cheerful/non-plussed that "Re:Union" has finally been aired intact on Sci-Fi?
FrooniumRicky: I was slighly plussed
FrooniumRicky: actually, I was neither plussed nor non
FrooniumRicky: I just wanted to type that
FrooniumRicky: It really wasn't That different from "Dream..."
FrooniumRicky: Of interest to Serious Fans Only, I'd imagine
FrooniumRicky: But hey
FrooniumRicky: Why not